Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kitchen Eye Candy

I'm still illin', but the kitchen reno is creeping closer and closer and I can't stop thinking about it.  Wanna see some kitchens I like?  I know you do.....  Let's discuss.

First up is this beauty:



Source: decorpad.com via Carol on Pinterest


See that 'X' detail on the end of that pretty island?  I'll be doing something similar on the ends of both of my peninsulas.  I'm sure I'll get annoyed with the dust that collects in the deep, little grooves, but I'll take my chances.  I don't know how I feel about the hanging glass pendants or the light flooring.  I'm carrying the dark flooring from the rest of the house through the kitchen and need to keep that in mind when I'm choosing my counters and base cabinet color.

That's right base cabinet color.

I'm a sucker for darker base cabinets in the kitchen and one of the kitchens that I'm loving HARD is this one:




Can you believe that gorgeous grey on those cabinets?  The finish is unbelievable (check out her blog, she talks about the paint used when she had them sprayed) and the color really does blow my mind.  Again, light flooring, and I desperately want to know if my darker flooring would marry well with that amazing color without seeming too bottom-heavy.

I lovelovelove her kitchen, so let's take a look at a couple more views:






The silver handles look great with the darker tone and the subway tiles are such a cost-effective way to create a classically beautiful backdrop for the walls.

Now, since I'm all bananas about my dark floor, let's take a peek at what a dark floor does for a kitchen.




The darker floor really anchors the room and it seems like lighter cabinetry for the base cabs keeps the room feeling spacious.




With the photo above, the darker floors seem to blend in with the dark island, but the surrounding cabinetry stays light.  This definitely helps to expand the room around the center island.

I don't know.  Any thoughts on a dark floor with semi-dark lower cabinets?  I might have to do some test painting to see how the combination works.

I have a sniffly six-year-old waiting for me in the other room, so I'll leave you with this gorgeous backsplash image:







I know, right?  The unfinished trim/tile near the window is making my eye twitch a little but isn't the tile itself pretty?  I have the overwhelming urge to pet it.


4 comments:

  1. you're making me hate my kitchen right about now. seriously, these are all my dream kitchen. can i have them all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you can. I'll drop them off later this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that last backsplash tile is definitely a stunner! I like dark floors too - sooo much inspiration out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Travelstovegas! I agree about all of the inspiration everywhere. I totally have inspiration ADHD sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Say something.