Friday, October 4, 2013

Inspecting The Uninspected (Part One)

Let's be honest here, unless you're - a.) in the process of a remodeling project b.) about to embark or just finished something ridiculous c.) a creepy stalker (hi! and welcome!), then this post is going to be completely uninteresting and much like my first Thanksgiving turkey.

Dry.




One of the many reasons posting has been eerily quiet around here is the incredible amount of hustle it takes to get a house (new build or renovation) to pass it's myriad of inspections.  When we originally applied and were approved for our building permit, we basically agreed to have all new materials and structures be built to town code.  For our particular project, this lovely list includes having an inspection for each of the following:
  • Readiness to construct (pour) footings
  • Substantial completion of structural framing
  • Roughing in of HVAC systems
  • Substantial completion of HVAC systems
  • Readiness to inspect air barrier (prior to cover)
  • Substantial completion of insulation, vapour barriers and air barriers
  • Readiness for inspection and testing of underground plumbing system
  • Readiness for inspection and testing of the water distribution system
  • Readiness for inspection and testing of drainage systems and venting systems
  • Readiness for inspection and testing of plumbing fixtures and plumbing appliances
  • Readiness to construct the sewage systems
  • Substantial completion of the installation of the sewage system before the commencement of backfilling
  • Installation of components required to permit occupancy
  • Completion of construction
On top of these FOURTEEN inspection requirements, we also needed to file for a permit with the Electrical Safety Authority and that usually involves an inspection of the wiring prior to covering it with insulation and drywall, and then a final inspection to make sure everything works properly and the fixtures are to code.



Here's the thing.  THE thing.  Before each inspection, I get nervous.  Really nervous.  Especially if it was an element that I had a hand in.  I take the work that I've done on this house VERY seriously and I've tried my very best to do each job damn near perfect or as perfect as I could possibly get it.  With a lot of this renovation, I've head to learn as I go.  Sometimes that means watching YouTube videos about how to install tile (and some that show you how to NOT do it properly), sometimes it means learning by having a massive failure.  Either way, one thing's for sure, if I knew the proper way to do something, that's the way I did it.  So, when it came time to have that which I *just* learned and implemented be inspected by a professional?  Oh, hell naw.... I get straight-up stressed.



I basically have spent the last 14 months in a constant state of frazzled-ness.  It doesn't do good things to the soul.  Or to wrinkles.



The reason I want to bring all of this up is because we've managed to cross off every single one of those inspection bullets with the exception of one.  The last one.  The big kahuna.  The final inspection.

And finally, to that, I can say:




Except I am, kinda.


So, for the next few posts, I'm going to go over some of the finer points of the inspection process.  Things to keep in mind and some of the things that I encountered.  The most important thing to remember here if you are going through this process and don't happen to live in the town of Kingsville, every town is different and building codes vary wildly.  Please, please do your homework when you're tackling a renovation.  Call your local building department and ask them to forward specific documents regarding your project or check their website for information.  Trust me, it'll save you from failing your inspections and having to go through the whole process all over again.  And again, that stuff just ain't no good for the wrinkles.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.